Re: SELECTOR question

From: SM <sm_at_resistor.net>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 14:31:38 -0700

At 08:19 03-05-2012, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>Is there any reason not to use a guaranteed UUID for the SELECTOR
>with dkim, something like:
>
>9d624885-08e6-4ebf-bc0f-532b0d9f4060
>
>I ask because we have clients that literally have hundreds or
>thousands of domains. Having them try and pick a selector for each
>domain, rather than generating it programmatically with a UUID seems
>like it would be a major headache to manage.

The selctor only has to be unique within the zone. I'll add key
rollover as an additional consideration. If all this is automated,
you might as well do the key rollover on a periodic basis.

Using UUID is more a matter of personal flavor. I don't see much
gain in doing it unless there is some data storage requirement.

Regards,
-sm