RE: Relating to Domains..

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:21:46 -0700

It shouldn't matter what protocol version you're talking. Even if the versions are incompatible, there should still be at least an attempt to communicate, but your strace showed none occurring. opendkim is just sitting there waiting for a connection that never comes.

It would be unusual for postfix not to log anything if it tries to connect to port 8891 and fails, but I suppose that's possible. You could strace postfix to see if it's trying to connect to your filter, however my knowledge of postfix is near-zero so I wouldn't know how to tell you which process to trace.

> I wonder if there's another way to see if "packet filter is
> interfering with socket communication" somehow. Nothing is in the
> maillog - no errors - and the email is getting sent.

A packet filter probably doesn't log anything to the mail log. You might want to check your main syslog file or perhaps a security or audit log, or find out where your packet filter writes its log entries.

You might also try temporarily turning off the packet filter altogether and repeating the test, just to eliminate it as the culprit.

And there are the obvious things too: Did you add these lines to the right postfix configuration file, and direct postfix to re-read it (or restart postfix) after doing so?

-MSK