Re: OpenDKIM and Postfix milter protocol version

From: SM <sm_at_resistor.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 10:00:41 -0700

Hi Steve,
At 09:37 22-08-2011, Steve Jenkins wrote:
>I received a question through my blog today that I hadn't thought
>about. The question was:
>
>" I noticed that you suggest to set the milter_protocol to 2 in
>main.cf. Postfix 2.6+ uses a different higher default (6) for the
>protocol version. Since we're running other milters, I'm worried that
>lowering the protocol could cause issues to the mail server. Postfix
>does not seem to support configuration of a per-milter protocol
>version.
>
>"Any idea why OpenDKIM require protocol version 2, or if it can also
>work with version 6? Documentation on how the protocol changes from
>version to version is sparse at best..."

OpenDKIM does not require protocol version 2. It is more about the
lowest protocol version supported. There are old installations out
there. If you are going to say "use version 6", you are requiring
the people to upgrade other software. That's a good way to ignore
constraints in specific environments.

Regards,
-sm