RE: Graceful handling of DB connectivity failures

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 13:49:25 -0700

I reproduced this in a local test setup here. There appears to be a bug or a limitation with opendbx, wherein a particular kind of error from libpq (the postgresql library) leaves the database handle in an unrecoverable state. I've posted a note to the opendbx mailing list to describe the problem and ask for help with it.

Some database types we support can handle high-bit characters and others (apparently) can't. I'm not sure whether we should be fixing this in opendkim or pushing to get the libraries below it fixed. We could, I suppose, just force a "not found" response to DB queries that include high-bit ASCII if certain flags are set in the configuration file.

In the meantime, you might be able to adjust your postgresql server to tolerate high-ASCII characters which would avoid this problem. Unfortunately I don't know enough about postgresql to tell you how to do that, but maybe their "client_encoding" hint is useful.

-MSK