RE: Domain reputation

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 13:19:44 -0700

I don't think MTAs should be doing any measuring as they often have too narrow a view. Rather, MTAs report data, and query other services for allow/deny instructions.

> Should that be used for white/blacklisting or more as another
> spam filtering weight/score?

I think we'll need layers. Due to the nature of SMTP, IP-level filtering (RBLs, firewalls, etc.) are far more effective than anything at the SMTP level, so there will be a layer of that before any content analysis or DKIM verification. However, all three of those need to be present in a site's toolbox. And those tools will interchange data to increase each other's accuracy.