Re: The daemonize/pty issue

From: Sam Umbach <sumbach_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 18:27:38 -0400

I'll confirm, but my initial tests with nohup were unsuccessful.
Additionally, using nohup on the daemon start will report immediate
success even if the daemon fails to start.

The best solution I've found so far is to immediately call setpgid in
both the parent and child process. Then call fork a second time in
the child, and call setsid in the grandchild (which goes on to become
the daemon). I've never seen this method fail.

-Sam