Re: /etc/init.d/opendkim fails to start opendkim when run over ssh with a pseudo-tty

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2011 21:16:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2011, Sam Umbach wrote:
> No luck with that idea. I believe the parent process exits which leads
> to the shell exiting and sending sighup to the child process.

Just to be precise, it must be sending SIGHUP to the child's process
group, probably using killpg() or similar.

I imagine many programs out there have this problem because the scenario
you're describing isn't anticipated. Instead, this is what nohup(1) is
for. You might try:

         ssh <args> <host> nohup /etc/init.d/opendkim start

...and see what kind of results you get.

-MSK