Re: OpenDKIM v2.3.1 released

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 06:31:37 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Gary Mills wrote:
> I see from the opendkim/README file that this sendmail configuration
> is recommended:
>
> INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`opendkim', `S=inet:8891_at_localhost')

That setup uses the default timeouts, which I believe are reasonable. If
you're not seeing timeouts in your logs as a result of long DNS queries or
prolonged processing, the defaults are fine.

Where I've seen these timeouts need to be adjusted is for filters that
need to do a lot of content processing, such as anti-virus and anti-spam.
One customer of a former employer had an AV scanner on while they
regularly email ISOs around, and this easily caused the scanner to exceed
the default milter read timeout during EOM, so this progress message
became important to support. But for something that only queries DNS a
couple of times and does a quick signature verification, hitting timeouts
should be highly unusual in normal operaton.

-MSK