RE: key data is not secure

From: Steve Jenkins <steve_at_stevejenkins.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:09:08 -0700

> From: Chris
> Speaking of which, it just occurred to me that you updated the init script on
> your blog post but since 2.3.0 hasn't been released yet, using that reload
> command will, terminate the parent process and leave the child process
> running. It must then be killed because 'service opendkim stop' has no
> knowledge of the child process pid. I'm not sure what should be done about
> this... perhaps just remove the reload handler until 2.3 gets released?

Right you are. And THAT'S why I like to use version numbers, even with scripts! :)

V1.2 of the startup script is now on the blog (http://stevejenkins.com/blog/2010/09/how-to-get-dkim-domainkeys-identified-mail-working-on-centos-5-5-and-postfix-using-opendkim/) and has the pre-2.3.0 reload stuff commented out in two marked sections, with instructions to uncomment them for 2.3+. That's the ONLY difference.

I didn't feel like messing with the "Usage:" line in the script, especially since I'm confident that 2.3.0 will be released soon anyway and none of this will matter then. So if someone using v1.2 of the script attempts "service opendkim reload" without the proper lines uncommented, it will simply spit out the Usage: line again, as if you requested a usage option that wasn't supported in the script (which is EXACTLY what occurred!).

Murray: If you want to include an RHEL/CentOS startup script in the OpenDKIM 2.3 packages, I'd suggest just using v1.1 that I emailed last night, since 2.3 can "handle" the reload handler.

SJ