Re: Some very early implementation report details from OpenDKIM

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:41:09 +0200

Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
>> It would also be interesting to include the Content-Transfer-Encoding,
>> in particular whether 7bit or 8bit.
>
> We can consider doing that, but it's hard to measure when that's a valid MIME part field. That is, it's possible the whole message was one or the other, but it's also possible that some parts were one way and some were the other.
>
> I don't really want to instrument OpenDKIM with the capacity to parse full MIME structure if I can avoid it.
>
> So is recording the top-level encoding sufficient, or should we just skip it?

In a number of cases it is sufficient. The percentage of multipart messages
may be meaningful on its own. I mean, counting each of these three
categories may provide some insight. Knowing that there is a relevant number
of 8bit-signer would be interesting, even if that statistic will be limited
to single-part messages. (Restricting to English messages is a more
significant limitation.)

I think it is beyond scope to check whether 8BITMIME was declared, or
actually needed, as well as parsing the full structure.