Scalability of keys

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 14:36:39 -0700

Not long ago we added the capability to store DKIM keys in SQL or LDAP databases.

In a conversation I was having with someone at the IETF last week, the idea came up of having DKIM keys retrieved in a way other than the DNS. In particular, apart from something like PowerDNS, there aren't many DNS implementations that allow data to be served from within an SQL or LDAP database. This means adding a key for a new domain involves creating or updating a zone file, incrementing a serial number and requesting a reload.

On the other hand, most or all web servers have plugins that enable them to become SQL- or LDAP-capable. That means storing keys in such databases is easily interfaced to web servers. So perhaps that means serving DKIM keys via a web server rather than via the DNS is something the DKIM community should explore.

What do people think about such an idea?

-MSK