Re: Help with pgsql dataset for SigningTable and KeyTable

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 09:02:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Naresh V wrote:
> [root_at_staging opendkim-2.1.1]# /etc/init.d/opendkim start
> Starting OpenDKIM Milter: opendkim: /etc/opendkim.conf:
> pgsql://opendkim_at_localhost/odkim/table=signingtable?keycol=fromheader?datacol=keyname:
> dkimf_db_open(): Success
> opendkim [FAILED]

It looks like error reporting from within dkimf_db_open() for the DSN case
could use some improvement.

The "Success" comes from the fact that errno is 0 at that time. This
means an error was returned either because the syntax of the configuration
line, or because the odbx library returned an error. Unfortunately you
can't tell which was the case just based on the error.

I can tell you that the syntax you have is slightly wrong. For example,
you have:

SigningTable pgsql://opendkim_at_localhost/odkim/table=signingtable?keycol=fromheader?datacol=keyname

opendkim doesn't know that the odbx library below it supports pgsql, so at
compile time, opendkim has no idea if "pgsql:" is a valid prefix or not.
Instead, you should put "dsn:" in front of this, which tells opendkim that
the remainder of the string should be passed to odbx as an open
instruction.

So try this instead:

SigningTable dsn:pgsql://opendkim_at_localhost/odkim/table=signingtable?keycol=fromheader?datacol=keyname

I will open a bug report that requests better logging detail from the
database open function, as "Success" is clearly not helpful.