Re: Should kilproc be called with -p option?

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 22:15:19 +1100

On 10/01/13 19:36, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> This bug report remains open. I don't think we reached consensus on it
> the last time it was discussed so I'd like to try again. Can any of our
> Debian and other Linux friends comment on it and suggest a disposition?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3575666&group_id=269812&atid=1147701
>

> Thanks,
> -MSK

The current debian patch containing its init script is here.
http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/debianonly/view/opendkim/2.7.3-1

It uses RUNDIR (/var/run/{opendkim} owned by the user/group and puts the
pid file in this. I'm not sure why it doesn't use the pidfiles to stop
the process.

I agree changing contrib/init/generic/opendkim to stop a process via
using the pidfile, another variant of $(od_getpid)?, rather than the
daemon name is preferable.

Killproc isn't a process on my Fedora 17 based except for some weird
wrapper (/etc/redhat-lsb/lsb_killproc) which is probably sufficient in
some sense.

The LSB standard does specify killproc as as defined in the bug report.
http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/LSB_4.1.0/LSB-Core-generic/LSB-Core-generic/iniscrptfunc.html

So i'd concur with the bug report.