Re: OpenDKIM 2.7.0 Beta period beginning

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2012 23:56:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012, Andreas Schulze wrote:
> "UnboundConfigFile" is now an invalid Option.
> That breaks running configurations on update.
> I suggest to handle it same as "X-Header": accept/ignore and issue a warning.

I'm really not partial to this approach. I did it somewhat reluctantly
for X-Header.

Specifically, there's little in the way of encouragement for people to
update their configuration files to new key words or syntaxes when only a
warning is logged, because few (if any) people check logs unless something
goes seriously wrong. Instead, it's extra (and almost useless, in my
view) code for me to track and remember to remove in the next major
version.

Mandatory configuration file changes are a fact of life when doing
software upgrades, and I don't think this is any different.

Maybe I'm wrong. What do others think?

-MSK