Re: 2.4.0.Beta1 available

From: Steve Jenkins <stevejenkins_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 12:13:23 -0400

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com> wrote:
> [...]

I'm actually testing with Beta 6, but wanted to reply to this thread
for context. I realize that Daniel prefers to build RPMs, but I'd
still like to think there's a straightforward method to be able to do
"configure, make, make install" and then copy the RedHat init script
to the appropriate directory and it just WORKS. However, even with the
configure options you mentioned above, Murray, if I copy the default
init script to /etc/init.d/ and try to start OpenDKIM I get this
error:

Jun 3 15:44:36 tapper opendkim[25590]: can't write pid to
/usr/local/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.pid: No such file or directory
Jun 3 15:44:36 tapper opendkim[25591]: OpenDKIM Filter v2.4.0
starting (args: -x /etc/opendkim.conf -P
/usr/local/var/run/opendkim/opendkim.pid)

The only way to get things working properly again is to use my default
init script (which is the same as the last version I submitted).

Again, I'm way more script-kiddie than programmer, so maybe I'm
missing something. When ./configure is run with those options, does
that affect the startup script? Or does it affect the location that
the binaries get copied to? Why was the prefix support stuff added in
the first place? Is it because the "roll your own RPM and install it"
method sticks the files in different locations than the "configure,
make, make install" method?

SteveJ