RE: OpenDKIM Website Issue and IPv6 Signing Problem

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_cloudmark.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:04:05 -0700

Hi Reuben. Thanks for getting back to me with your results! This is good stuff.

I looked into the specifications for IPv6 addresses (RFC4291 from February 2006 is current) and they say nothing about uppercase vs. lowercase, unfortunately. So the implementation on which opendkim relies (namely inet_ntop() as provided by the C libraries) makes the decision, and we just use what we're given.

I'm not sure what the "right" answer is here. At a minimum, I'll document this, but we should also look at what other software has adopted as convention; if they do the same then this is good enough, but if they have generally made the decision to map to uppercase or lowercase then we should follow along.

So, do you have any other IPv6-aware software that does one or the other that we should look at as a model?

I'll Bcc: this to our developer list for their input as well.

-MSK