Re: Request for a license change

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 23:23:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010, SM wrote:
> The open approach has benefited OpenDKIM. Although adoption is slow,
> there is an increase in the user-base. I suggest that we avoid the
> license evangelism trap. Let's stick to making the code better. The
> best way, in my opinion, to do that is to consider a 3-clause or
> 2-clause BSD license.

The BSD licenses preserve our copyright, and in that sense it's just as
good as the GPL is.

What the BSD license does not do is force derivative works to be as free
as OpenDKIM is. Someone could build something proprietary based on it and
only needs to include our copyright notice; there's no obligation to
contribute any improvements back to the community.

Are you okay with leaving it that way?

-MSK