Now playing: miltertest

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 10:44:51 -0800 (PST)

On branch br-msk-lua I've whipped up a milter-level filter test facility
that's Lua-based. I've been dying for a facility like this since getting
into filter development at Sendmail years ago. I took several runs at it
but making a reasonable user interface to it was always the killer that
made me give up. It looks like Lua (or something like it) was the missing
piece.

You'll find it in a new directory on that branch called "miltertest".
It's not quite complete, but only inasmuch as the mt_eom_check() facility
doesn't yet cover all cases. To see how it works, you can view the man
page that's there.

I intend to include a directory under "opendkim" called "tests" which has
a comprehensive battery of unit tests done at the milter level that
exercise the filter's features, something we're currently missing.

Daniel had some ideas about doing full integration testing in an automated
fashion. That's still probably a good idea, but it's harder to do that in
a self-contained fashion given the complexity of a full-blown MTA. This
is likely simpler to automate as part of a "make check" pass.

-MSK