Re: merge cleanup

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 21:41:52 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Daniel Black wrote:
>> There's one other issue I just spotted: the build-aux directory doesn't
>> exist in CVS. So if you do a fresh trunk checkout, autotools will all
>> fail because they can't create the missing components they want. If it
>> needs to exist, you should probably make it
>
> add it to the cvs repo sounds good. The make distcheck tarball has it all nice
> and there.
>
>> and just put a README in there
>> explaining why it's needed.
>
> probably overkill.

CVS checkouts can omit empty directories if certain flags are specified.
I'll put the README in there to force it.

>> Or, we might want to ressurect "autogen.sh"
>> and have it do "mkdir build-aux" before doing aclocal, autoconf, automake
>> and autoheaders, and then use that when preparing distributions.
>
> the autogen.sh and its general flimsyness was the driver for autoconf to add
> autoreconf in 2.50. As we are requiring 2.6* in configure.ac it should be
> there.

I'd like to have one command to run after a fresh checkout to get it to
the point where "./configure" is possible. Is that just "autoreconf"? I
thought you'd have to do aclocal, then autoconf, then automake, then
autoheader, then libtoolize, and remember which of those takes "-I m4" as
arguments. If the latter, I'd like a script to do it so everyone does it
the same way. It doesn't have to be called "autogen.sh" if there's some
stigma associated with the name. But if all you have to do from zero is
run "autoreconf" then I'm happy with that.

> could use a AC_DEFINE(TRE_PRE_080) rather than pushing it into CFLAGS
> but otherwise looks good. Would need perhaps more includes in other
> headers.

That's a better idea, I'll switch to that.