Re: Idea for milter test tool

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 12:16:54 +1100

On Thursday 05 November 2009 09:47:16 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> What do people think of this as a (starter) milter test tool
> specification?

While this provides and implementation independent way of testing opendkim I
this a lot of effort here occurs to model the user's MTA behaviour that
ultimately may not end up being correct.

I'd hope a test suite could be setup with a SMTP in and the output would be
delivery to script/mbox out and any logs opendkim generates. The test suite
could compare the results of the logs/smtp delivery to ensure correctness.

We could provide some sample sendmail/postfix configurations to set this up
and provide the user with a clear test of their software product and version.

If the end user wants to make better use of the test suite to say BCC email
from their production service to this second test instance that provides them
with a greater confidence to deploy opendkim. Making use of the 'redirect' on
failure users can get a mbox of all the messages that failed and why for a
test period.