Re: OSes for testing

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:57:11 +1100

On Thursday 05 November 2009 04:45:45 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> [...]

VMWare on the right hardware provides full virtualisation. This should be
enough to get it going whether VMWare Inc support it or not. There have been
some Internet reports of it working.

> > If anything I'd add Centos or RHEL and SuSE but this is getting like a
> > big
> > list.
>
> You're more of a Linux expert than me: Are there actually cases that CentOS
> or SuSE might hit that Fedora Core would not?

I was suggesting these to follow a more enterprise base of deployment. The
packages are definitely older on Centos which may affect identify new errors
that the others wouldn't. Fedora is generally to bleeding edge (says the
Gentoo guy :)

Possibly also on the enterprise line something like
http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/virtualization/vm_jeos.html

Though I'm sure Oracle would prefer you use their VM technologies there's a
blog about VMware install of it.
http://www.banjora.com/2009/05/22/ovm-212-server-part-i/