autoconf quick guide

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:26:17 +1100

Diego who's been doing autoconf fixed for far too long has quick guide for
semi experienced autoconf folks like us to be a bit nicer to distribution
maintainers.

http://www.flameeyes.eu/autotools-mythbuster/autoconf/
http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/114061

Things that we probably should take note of are:

* most macro arguments should be bracketed to prevent macro expansion.
* potentially using more AS_IF and AS_CASE since otherwise waiting for the
./configure script to fail is a bit more confusing and slower to debug [1.1]
* AC_enable/with seem pretty right though we may want to consider
autodepending on libunbound/libodbx. The a consistent use of the example 1.2
structure would maybe make things clearer. I need to fix the FEATURE macros in
my branch because of this.
* use of a m4 directory for acx_pthreads and eventuallly pkg-config will
mitigate a few of the negatives (preventing users overwriting them with
running aclocal when they don't have pkg-config installed)
* silent building is interesting
* better use of build-config.h for _FFR and USE_ARLIB defines.
* better use of build-config.h for HAVE_givenfunction or HAVE_givenheader_H
* the 'careful with gnu extensions' particularly strptime

and the other autoconf stuff i want to do:
* define macros for features
* pkg-config for detection
* provide pkg-config for our libs
* constant versioning throughout
* documenting enabled man pages
* building the dkim_libfeature and associated defines

automake changes:
* code coverage tests pages
* building conditional man pages on build options
* auto doxygen documentation build
* automake the make dist to do some automated checks currently manually done.