Re: Test tools

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 14:46:03 +1100

On Tuesday 20 October 2009 05:54:46 Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
> Although the unit testing for libopendkim is fairly thorough, the unit
> testing for opendkim itself is almost non-existent.
>
> What we really need, and I think what the industry could really use, is a
> test tool that pretends to be an MTA but executes a script of milter
> actions sent to the filter with expected replies and then reports any
> deviations. It has to be able to do these in parallel so that
> multi-threaded loads can be simulated as well.

I'm thinking at least some of the tests should hookup a test version of the
MTA as the operation of the milter interfaces on the server side is key to the
acceptability of the product.

> I'll stick this on our proverbial task list someplace,

if you want to switch to the dark side of git(orious) there's a wiki too:
http://gitorious.org/opendkim/pages

> but I just wanted to
> mention that we need something like this in case anyone feels like taking
> on a project like that.
its got some real relevance to the async and policy protocol discussion. I'll
see how time goes.

> If there's interest, I'd be happy to flesh out
> the requirements.

defiantly interested. Not sure how to do great measurements but a list is a
good start.

> I might even start to tackle this myself since it may
> have applications to my day job and I might be able to talk them into
> donating the results.

good luck on behalf of all of us here.