policy + sieve + Re: LUA?

From: Daniel Black <daniel.subs_at_internode.on.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:05:15 +1100

On Sunday 11 October 2009 16:40:27 Mike Markley wrote:
> It's interesting that you mentioned sieve, because my first thought was
> that a sieve extension might be more appropriate.

as a verification user level handling thing it probably could work quite well
even without extensions provided all the AH headers are there.

It has some real pros in terms of deliver of suspect email to its own mailbox
folder.

generally though, its putting a MDA script language at the MTA front end
(milter).

> I don't know that
> there's a lightweight implementation out there that could be leveraged,
> but it has one big advantage: mail administrators have a fighting chance
> of already being familiar with the syntax.
>
> I've no experience with Lua, unless you count being friends with
> a graphics grad student who works for a video chipset maker, so I don't
> really have any input to offer it as a language choice.

> I do know that, as someone who was an email administrator in a past life and
works with other email administrators (in both design/build and operations
roles) daily, I don't know a single one who has prior experience with Lua.
I'd have to agree here. The language isn't that common.