The signing decision, and a patch proposal

From: Murray S. Kucherawy <msk_at_blackops.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 12:16:21 -0700 (PDT)

A patch was submitted to dkim-milter we might want to consider for
opendkim. It involves making the key selection predicated on the value of
one of the MTA's SMTP AUTH macros rather than the From: domain. You can't
do this on opendkim now since it can only check headers, not macros, for
that value. I can see this being practical at places that sign for lots
of domains and do SMTP AUTH. We might even want to set "i=" for such
clients.

Anyone see this as a bad idea? I haven't looked at the patch yet for
quality, but I think this is not an unreasonable thing to support. I've
been talking to the author a little about it and he seems to have at least
a basic understanding of what's going on here.

-MSK